Choose your best game day recipe.
Include any** food item or beverage sold at a Chevron or Texaco station.
Cook, submit, share and compete to become the Game Day Chef Champion!
The 2015 Game Day Chef Challenge Champion
Jennifer Daskevich of Southern California crowned champion with her Cashew Chicken Sliders with Rootbeer Bacon Jam
- Occupation:Restaurant Consultant and Founder of Sandwich America
- Favorite Football team:College – University of Utah, Professional – Dallas Cowboys
- Ingredients used from a Chevron or Texaco station:Cashews, Dried Apricots, Root Beer, Sesame Candy, Greek Yogurt, Bacon
- How did you come up with your dish?
- Answer: I went into Chevron and roamed around for about an hour taking inspiration from all the wonderful things in the Chevron (Food Mart). I didn’t know what I would make prior to entering the store but came out with a winning recipe that is delicious and perfect for game day.
- What makes this dish so special?
- It was truly inspired by this challenge but it also embodies what tailgating should be all about. Game Day food doesn’t have to be what you typically think of — it can be special and flavorful and gourmet and doable in a short period of time. This recipe embodies my idea of game day and is also a perfect bite — you can eat it with one hand so your other hand is free to cheer or hold a drink. I paid special attention to crowd pleasers – who doesn’t love fried chicken and bacon but I put a twist on the classics by adding cashews to my chicken breading and turning the bacon into a sweet and spicy topping in the bacon jam.
- What was most challenging about using an ingredient(s) from a convenience store?
- Actually with the great selection available at the Chevron (Food Mart) it was not a challenge at all. It was an inspiration. I put ingredients together that I had never used together before based on roaming around my Chevron and I created a truly inspired dish for this challenge.
- What surprised you most about Chevron’s convenience store offering?
- There is a Chevron (Food Mart) right by my house and I go there often for gas, water, and snacks. When I started looking for inspiration for this contest I found they had much more. Bacon, cheese, yogurt, milk. It was full of great items at great convenience. I started with the bacon at the Chevron for inspiration and riffed off that theme for the rest of my dish.
- Do you have any special plans to celebrate your winnings?
- My friend Merry and I are going to do a Chevron road trip — getting gas and food from Chevron’s as we drive around the country. That will be a great foodie adventure. I will be donating some of the winnings to the Downtown Women’s Center here in Los Angeles and I’ll be buying the gas for anyone I drive with for the next ten years.
- What advice would you give someone entering this contest next season?
- Think about a food that you would enjoy at a game, that can be held in one hand, be neatly contained, and have a variety of flavors and textures all wrapped up in one delicious bite. Test your recipe on family and friends and ask for honest opinions and feedback.